In this article we are sharing the current for ESE 2019 prelims paper 01, read our current affairs daily if you are preparing for IES 2019
Topic 2 : Energy
Assam to be oil exporting hub
Assam is slated to soon become one of India’s major oil exporting hubs catering to the eastern neighbours of the country and Southeast Asia.
- There are slew of projects for augmenting oil exploration, refining and transportation capacity in various stages of completion in the region.
- Eight of these projects under Hydrocarbon Vision 2030 for north-east India.
- Assam will soon send petrol and diesel to Bangladesh, Bhutan, Myanmar, and Southeast Asian countries.
About Hydrocarbon Vision 2030 for north-east India:
- The Vision Document has been a focused and consultative exercise to develop a common and shared aspiration for benefiting people of the north east region.
- With involvement and inputs of various stakeholders, industry players and state governments, the Vision document not only includes the ambition for the region but also an actionable roadmap.
- The policy focus areas include moderation in light of specific terrain and weather conditions of the region coupled with ensuring fund planning for new projects.
- In projects, the focus is on pipeline connectivity for carrying liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), natural gas, and petroleum products, oil and lubricants (POL); building refineries and import links; and development of compressed natural gas (CNG) highways and city gas distribution network.
- The production side emphases include production enhancement contracts, technology deployment and fast-track clearance, and development of service provider hubs.
- The Vision rests on five pillars;
- To leverage the region’s hydrocarbon potential, enhance access to clean fuels, improve availability of petroleum products, facilitate economic development and to link common people to the economic activities in this sector.
- The states covered include Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura. The Ministry also undertook series of consultations with the state governments while drafting the vision document.
Read more at: The Hindu
Topic 3 : ICT
AI to predict wind energy output
In collaboration with its Britain-based Artificial Intelligence (AI) subsidiary DeepMind, Google has developed a system to predict wind power output 36 hours ahead of actual generation.
How does it work?
- Using a neural network trained on widely available weather forecasts and historical turbine data, the researchers configured the DeepMind system to predict wind power output 36 hours ahead of actual generation.
- Based on these predictions, our model recommends how to make optimal hourly delivery commitments to the power grid a full day in advance.
- This is important, because energy sources that can be scheduled, or can deliver a set amount of electricity at a set time, are often more valuable to the grid.
- The machine learning has boosted the value of our wind energy by roughly 20 per cent, compared to the baseline scenario of no time-based commitments to the grid.
- Boost the value of wind energy
- Strengthen the business case for wind power
- Drive further adoption of carbon-free energy on electric grids worldwide.
Read more at: ET
Topic 4: General Knowledge
The Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC)
The Organisation of Islamic Cooperation is an international organization founded in 1969, consisting of 57 member states, with a collective population of over 1.8 billion as of 2015 with 40 countries being Muslim Majority countries.
- The organisation states that it is “the collective voice of the Muslim world” and works to “safeguard and protect the interests of the Muslim world in the spirit of promoting international peace and harmony”.
- The OIC has permanent delegations to the United Nations and the European Union.
- The official languages of the OIC are Arabic, English, and French.
- The OIC aims to preserve Islamic social and economic values; promote solidarity amongst member states; increase cooperation in social, economic, cultural, scientific, and political areas; uphold international peace and security; and advance education, particularly in the fields of science and technology.
- OIC invited Indian Foreign Minister as guest of honour in UAE for 2019 conference.
- Pakistan skipped the conference ahead its tensions with India.
Read more at: TOI